A classic twist on jambalaya, this pastalaya recipe puts an Italian spin on a Cajun dish. This is one of my favorite recipes. It's easy to make, it tastes great, and it won't empty your wallet. Substitute whole grain pasta and use low-fat sausage along with naturally salt-free Basin Blend seasoning to make it even healthier.
Cooking Time: About 40 minutes
1 lb smoked andouille
1 lb penne or rotini pasta
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup diced tomatoes
2 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup cold water
2 tbsp half & half
1 tsp Cayenne pepper (optional)
- Sauté Basin Blend and olive oil in a large pot on medium heat. Slice the andouille into rounds and stir into the seasoning. Increase to high heat until the sausage browns
- Add diced tomatoes, pasta, broth, water, and cayenne pepper (optional) to the pot and mix well
- Place the lid and bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Stir in the half & half, replace the lid, and continue to simmer for 5 minutes or until the noodles are fully cooked
- Let stand for 3 to 5 minutes before serving
Are you making a pastalaya tonight? Share it with your friends on Facebook and Instagram using #basinblended and let us know what you think in the comments below.